Welcome Jon Lycett-Smith's blog!

I'm a Sheffield based illustrator and writer, who's recently left the games industry after 8 years of relative security, and once again decided to fling himself into the choppy waters of the world of commercial illustration.

On the right hand side of the screen you can see the link to my Portfolio. There you'll find samples of the illustration, character design, concept art and graphic design I've carried out over the past 15 years or so.

If you'd like me to draw some really nice stuff for you, and want to pay me to do it, please don't hesitate to contact me using the details on the right of the page!

Friday 8 October 2010

Escape to Wonderland

I recently had the opportunity to produce some publicity material for the Lightbox Gallery’s Escape to Wonderland exhibition.

They’ve put together a great body of work spanning generations of children’s picture book favourites and as a relative newcomer to the illustration business, it was quite an honour to be asked to produce an illustration to help promote it.


It was quite challenging to create an image that could retain my illustrative messy ink line style and yet be scaleable so that it could be reproduced on anything between an A5 leaflet to a 500 foot banner without degradation of quality. I found a way of using vector lines in photoshop that allowed me to do this within my style, which was quite a relief, and should prove very useful on future projects.

(reposted from here, 10th september 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment